Our tips for trainings that work
Training is a useful tool to realize inclusion in the organisation and therefor widely used. Of course it is not the only tool: be aware that trainings for diversity & inclusion only have a sustainable effect when they are applied in a broader context of focus and measures. In other words, training alone is not the answer….
Trainings work out best when they can be directly applied in practice, research has shown. So if you offer a training, connect with the professions the participants are active in: it is not logica lto give the same training to a HR-manager, a sales manager, a manager of security guards or a manager of a health care team. The more people can recognize where diversity & inclusion deal with their daily business, the better they can get started with it.
Seba training tips
Are you ready to go ahead with diversity & inclusion training? We are happy to share our insights and experience here. Here are 8 tips to support you in your considerations and to ensure maximum effect.
- Do not make it an isolated activity but integrate it in a larger proces or package.
- Ensure that participants can have ownership of the content as much as possible.
- Take care that it stays close to their daily business.
- When it concerns a group, then do not focus on the individual level but on team dynamics.
- When it concerns managers, address the way they make decisions, manage or guide people and processes, and clarify the business case for diversity & inclusion.
- Pay attention to the rootcause of resistance: it may derive from diversity but quite often also from the methodology that is used.
- Do not just work on insights but also on skills and behaviour.
- Keep it cheerful! Everybody loves pleasure at work.